- This event has passed.
Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy for Life (MBCT-L) 8-week Course
January 19 @ 10:00 am - 12:30 pm HKT
Date(s) – 19/01/2021
10:00 am – 12:30 pm
MBCT-L (Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy for Life) is a mindfulness programme developed by the Oxford Mindfulness Centre that provides an in-depth mindfulness training that brings about sustainable and lasting changes in well being. Over a period of 8 weeks, it offers learning of mindfulness practices and cognitive-behavioural approaches in ways that are accessible to all. It guides participants how to apply these learnings in everyday life both to manage stress and difficulties but also to cultivate joy, compassion, equanimity and wisdom. It offers a different way of living in ways that supports people to work with distress and difficulties, but also to savour what’s already good in their lives, to experience gratitude, to feel more connected to others, and to live in a way that’s aligned with their values.
Key understandings and learning points:
– Mindfulness begins with recognizing the tendency to be on automatic pilot, which can rob us of our potential for living life more fully. We begin to practice stepping out of automatic pilot by learning a variety of formal and informal mindfulness practices, which use the breath and the body as main focus of attention to cultivate present moment awareness. We learn how to apply mindfulness to aspects of everyday activities and by doing so, we realize how this special attention has the potential to change our experience.
– With greater awareness, we begin to recognize the reactivity in our thoughts, feelings, impulses and actions when the mind is caught up in the past or the future. We learn how to bring more kindness and compassion to these automatic reactions and to understand them as normal human experiences. Mindfulness of the body, breathing and sounds helps us gather the scattered mind in the here and now and to create more spaciousness in our experience from which we can see different possibilities of how to respond more skilfully rather than react automatically.
– We develop mindfulness skills that help us be with all of our experiences, whether pleasant or unpleasant, with more acceptance, balance and equanimity, by cultivating attitudes of friendly interest and curiosity, instead of aversion and attachment. This helps us manage more skilfully when difficulties arise but also helps us open up to moments of joy, contentment and gratitude, which promotes a sense of well being.
– We learn tools for how to better take care of ourselves, which helps us build stress resilience, thrive and flourish.
Format of the MBCT-L course:
We meet for eight consecutive weeks from 10:00am – 12:00pm on the following dates:
- January: 19th (the first session is 2.5 hours long and will finish at 12:30pm), 26th
- February: 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd
- March: 2nd, 9th
There is an All-day of practice on February 28
Information sessions (free of charge) on the following dates (online, on Zoom):
December 29th, 2020: 10:00am-11:00am
January 5th, 2021: 10:00am-11:00am
Trainer: Ralitsa Ivanova, an MBCT-L teacher in training with Oxford Mindfulness Centre, a qualified MBSR teacher
Cost: HK$ 3,500 (Includes Course Handbook, Home practice recordings)
Bird Meditation Studio
2205, 22/F, Devon House
979 King’s Road
For further details and enquiries, please contact Ralitsa:
+852 9768 3977